23 August 2011

TRR Stage 3: JPs Take


Colossal day.  Name a personal record; I probably broke it.  Longest time spent running (for the 2nd time in 3 days): check.  Most miles in a week (and I did it in 3 days): check.  Most time spent running unconscious (not really, Mom, I mean I was numb, just running on…I don’t know what): check.

No wonder my left ankle has 3 kinds of tape on it right now and is throbbing like a bastard.  I’ll be sleeping with it elevated tonight, will keep the tape on for tomorrow’s stage, have the medical staff take it off tomorrow, work their magic, and tape me back up.  And the blisters.  Oh, the blisters.

Alas, despite writing the above, I am thrilled.  Trevor came around late in today’s stage and it was awesome.  I woke up (cold and late) relaxed, thinking less of racing and more of just running.  And as Trevor’s chest hurt right off the bat again, I immediately made a mental shift from competing to enjoying the terrain and realizing how good the training is.  But somewhere after check 2 at 14 miles, right after I had a double-caffeine Roctane Gu (too thick, but boy that works) and went to the front to do some quick-feet work on a nice descent, Trevor was right on me.  We transitioned to a flat in a valley just west of Highway 24 and I continued to turn a quick pace, bringing back into view some peeps who passed us earlier.  Trevor was right on me.  Today was a good day.

We descended to check 3, the final of the day at mile 19+, leaving us with 5 to go.  I took some hose water on my hands (which were driving me crazy with stickiness thanks to the 4 gels and 8 bottles of Gatorade I had had to that point) and washed them and my face.  I’m not sure what it is about cold water, but it brings me back to life in a big way.  It wasn’t hot per se, but it felt really really good.  We re-fueled and took off with Trevor leading.  He’s faster in these checkpoints; I guess tri folks know what to do.  I told him quickly that I was running on borrowed time, meaning I was running in uncharted territory with the duration.  And the pain in my feet (blisters galore); ankle (anterior tibialis tendonitis from March flared back up); ankle (same one, effing bee sting was irritating it); and left patella (reasons unknown) were causing me physical and mental duress.  Trevor motioned for me to take the lead so as to not drive the pace too hard and crush me, but when I went to the front, there were no issues.  I was running unconscious. 

We flew threw the last shaded miles and out onto the barren dirt roads of Camp Hale.  This is one of my favorite places in Colorado, and I entertained my mind looking around at the canyons and mountains I’ve ascended and descended with the likes of Joe, Brandon, and Trevor himself.  I had a rough go in the final 2 miles, with all the systems (stomach, bowels, mind, legs, joints) all sending warning signs that time was up.  Luckily Trevor was on his A+ game and got me through to the finish line, despite two brief walking breaks.  It was similar to Stage 1, but not nearly as bad.  We lifted the pace as we entered the barriers; even when so many things hurt, nothing feels as good as smooth quick strides, something I’ve been missing these last 2 days.  We finished in 4:04, right around my goal target of 4 hours. 

I was a pile of crap post-finish.  When the adrenaline and endorphins fade, what you’re left with is not pretty.  I found some shade and lots of drink, and quickly took off my shoes.  I would not move from this spot for quite some time, elevating my throbbing feet and ankles on the back of the Gore-Tex truck.  Despite wanting to get to the medic ASAP, it was almost 2 hours til I was there.  Food, drink, some stretching, and a shower all came first.  PTs and ATs aren’t as nice to when you show up pre-shower.

It was quite evident my tendonitis is back in full force, and Thomas with the Howard Head Treatment Center spent a good 30 minutes on me while 5 other people waited to have their injuries treated.  I’m optimistic about finishing the race, but I am quite sure it’s going to hurt really badly.  I am also concerned about long-term damage and inducing a stress fracture.  We’ll take it one day at a time and hope for the best.

We get to stay in (wi-fi dead) Camp Hale for 2 nights, so no messing with bags and stuff tomorrow morning, which is awesome.  I’m psyched Trevor is back and hope to have good sensations tomorrow and continue to move up.  The team that was 19 minutes in front of us is now just 1 minute 10 seconds ahead.  3 teams are within 4 minutes of each other for 9th, 10th and 11th in the Open Men.  I really don’t want to be the team that finishes 11th.

With that, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment