21 August 2011

TRR Stage 1: “Learn on the Fly”


“Learn on the Fly” was my mantra de jour. I decided that I would put a different, hopefully relevant, mantra on my hand every day. Today since there were a lot of things new to JP and I, there would be a bit of trial, error and learning hopefully.


It was an early start; up at 5:30 so that we could be AIS at 6:15. We had a 1hr30 drive to the race start. I packed all my gear last night so the agenda was easy; dressing and eating. I loaded up with some oatmeal (porridge), which was standard race fair for me.

Brando braved the early raise to give us a spin to Buena Vista so that we didn’t have to abandon a car in BV only to have to pick it up at the end. THANKS Brando. 

In joking spirits pre-race
We had to hand in our duffels, so it was hanging in our race gear until the start. Today I went with the camelbak (JPs Lobo) as I wanted to make sure that I had enough water since it was a exposed track route. The headaches that I had since Friday were gone, so that was good.  I went with my Newton Ms, compression socks, singlet, visor and sunglasses.

We were starting on Main St of BV. I thought that the start was a little anti-climatic.  I wasn’t too amped, maybe it was nerves. There was a neutral start for ½ mile or so. That was kind of weird. We set out at reasonable pace and once we crossed the bridge it was into some single track and climbing.  My HR jumped into the 170s so I cut back a bit to bring it down. I felt like I was breathing very hard. Not too long after we dumped out onto a nice, rolling dirt road and we where able to pick up the pace without my HR flying up.

It was already pretty hot at this point so I was trying to take water every 10-15 min. Problem is with the camel, my HR goes up when I drink, as it seems to be an effort to get the fluid out. We were climbing for about 7 miles before checkpoint (CP) 1. It was really nice track, but very hot and sandy in some spots.  We ran the majority, but walked on a few steep sections.

After the first CP (there was plenty of goods at the CPs and the staff was brilliant!) it was all down hill, both topologically and physically for me. Right after we passed the CP and after a drain, cramps in my upper abdomen kicked in. Cramps I’m not really familiar with; they were up high right under my ribs.  From that point on I couldn’t shake the cramps. I tried drinking more, getting Gu brew and salt tabs in. Nothing would make it go away. I carried it all the way to the end. It was debilitating.  I had to walk a lot more then I wanted too and when I could run, it was definitely jogging. I feel for JP cause I was a lame duck the min the cramps hit. All the mantras in the world couldn't get me going. I was pretty bummed.

The last 5K was a relatively flat dirt road, fully exposed to the heat except for a few tunnels at the beginning. It was a place I have never been before while racing.  A Hurt Locker wouldn't be big enough for the anguish I was in. I wish I could have Rule 5-ed it but there was nothing I could do.

We came across the line in 3:17 and took 11th place. WAY behind expectations. So on top of being steam rolled,  we were pretty disappointed. Post race it was a dip in the river near the finish line, trying to drowned sorrows and stretching before we got a van to camp.

Our camp was at a campground a few min from the finish line. Tents were all set up when we arrived, but they were up a decent hill. The crew was there to shuttle our bags and us up to the campground, which was key considering we were spent from the days stage. 

Camp - Night 1
Tents were good but we had to keep out bag out in the vestibules on each end as they were so big. Also note that it would be worth being real minimalist with packing as it was difficult to keep you stuff organized in the bags. The smaller shoes bags were essential for organizing stuff.

The craic was mighty around camp. Everyone was supah cool. It was nice to lounge with peeps and tell (war) stories of the day or of other experiences. Amy and Greg, whom we gave a lift to on Sat, were brilliant, as well as fast, peeps. They took third in the open-mixed. 

Gore Relaxation Station w/plenty of grub
Gore 'Juice Bar'
Dinner was more than sufficient and fantastic tasting. Prize ceremony and pics/videos of the day were also very cool. I def. need to get a DVD if its avail at the end of this.  Finally they give a brief of the next day’s stage.  JP and I trekked back to camp after so that we could put this day behind us and get some good z’s for tomorrow. (ear plugs and eye thing were key for good sleep).  I think that I did learn today albeit on the slow and I’m not stoked about the learning process. 

Before 3 fajita dinner
Apres 3 fajita dinner
Sincerely

Frustrated, TJM

The Short:

Finish: 3:17:33
Place: 11th of 25
GC: 11th (59:50)
Garmin: Go Get It
Distance: 20.9 miles
Gain: 2,550 ft
Max Elevation: 9,339 ft
Terrain: 1/2 mile road, 1 mile single track, 15 miles mix of double & single track sandy, 3 miles dirt road
Weather:
Sneakers: Newton Ms
Gear: Sleeveless Compression, Singlet, Camel, 2XU Compression Socks
Food: 2 Stingers, 1 waffle, orange slice. salt tab
Fluids: Water 1.5 40oz bladder,  Gu-brew

No comments:

Post a Comment