20 August 2011

Grateful

I commend my best man, my sounding board, and my 4,000 mile away training partner for beginning this. I am over the moon happy to see my friend I see so sparingly. He and I have experienced craziness in college, and some would say equal craziness now, but of a completely different sort. Trevor is a man I can rely on 100% and have nothing but respect for. I tell people he's the only person I know impervious to the effects of altitude. I simply could not have a better partner. I am fortunate. But, today, the day before our big race and adventure, the hardest of my life (to this point), is not about him.



Today, I dedicate to my wife, of six years to the day. It seems odd that she is off at the Warrior Dash, and I am preparing to leave for a week of fun without her. Normally we'd be cuddled up in a bed and breakfast, wondering why they stop serving breakfast so early. Or we'd be tourists in our own area, enjoying novelties and seeing things that people come from far and wide to see. Today though, we are apart, but only physically.



This year has been tumultuous, but as has happened with so many other relationships, it has only made us stronger. TransRockies Run is not cheap, and Dana has recognized the hard work I've put in in the office and on the roads and trails, and has given me full support to succeed in this endeavor. And for that, I am eternally grateful. When I run with a content mind and a free heart, I run, quite frankly, like the wind. When I run with guilt or anger or in a hurried manner, the result is not there. The effort is stifled, compounded by debilitating emotions and thoughts. These times are rare, thankfully. But this week, with what lies ahead of me, there is no room for extra pain and anguish. I will need every bit of my legs, my mind, and my heart. Knowing that Dana is rooting for me, and will come to visit me at the finish on Thursday and Friday, my goals become achievable.



So to my wife, thank you for supporting me over the past several months as I've trained and prepared for this. Particular is the athlete at times; other people use different adjectives I'm sure. But Dana does more than tolerate and permit, she understands, and supports. Thanks, babe. I promise to give it one hell of a run this week. You deserve nothing less.







No comments:

Post a Comment