22 August 2011

Better...

A better day for sure, but still nothing to write home about.  But a blog is ok.

Not sure of the whole stats as my Garmin is charging after completely dying 2 minutes after we finished.  Something like 13+ miles in 2:36:xx.  We finished 10th, one better than yesterday and moved up to 10th overall.  Still, not our goal. 

We staged way at the back of the pack to start and immediately set about passing half the field.  Too bad we started ~10,000' above sea level, and then ran uphill from there.  So the consequence of hustling out of the box was Trevor getting a cramp almost immediately, with it only abating a bit as we hiked / jogged up Hope Pass, summit: 12,500'.  Gah.  For the 2nd time in 2 days, Trevor had to cover a half-marathon with a side stitch.  This time weather (lots of shade, way cooler temps) and terrain (post-Hope Pass, lots of downhill) were on our side and we were able to finish much stronger.

We soaked our legs at Twin Lakes, hit some food and drink at the line and hopped in the first van to tonight's sleeping location: a baseball field in Leadville. 

Tomorrow brings another opportunity to make up some ground, but I'm worried about my performance in Stage 3.  I already set a record for longest run of my life on Monday, and  I'm sure to break it again tomorrow.  I'm not known for my endurance and my toes are misbehaving, so I'm extra-focused on doing what I need to today to be my best on the ~23+ mile stage.

The good news is as follows.
1. They are really good at treating blisters here.
2. My legs still feel pretty good.  We'll see after tomorrow when I will have run 58 miles in 3 days. For those keeping score at home, yes, that's the most I've ever run in a week.
3. My stomach is clear.  Not sure who is or isn't reading this, but a few of my old teammates are nodding their heads saying, "Oh, that's really important."
4. I'm having fun!  It's great to clown around with Trevor. We're pretty good at making people around us laugh.

With that, I'm off to eat and drink some more and maybe some shut-eye before supper at 5:00.  Thanks for reading and wish us luck!



2 comments:

  1. I'm keeping up with the blog....good luck today. Look forward to the next post.

    You guys are Etchen.

    Roman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go JP! I can't believe you are doing so well. Not so much because it's you but because this sounded like a really fancy suicide attempt to me. Kick some a** and take names today!

    ReplyDelete