22 August 2011

TRR Stage 2: “Overcome”


As we started today and my cramps remaining constant, I could only think of that game show: Weakest Link. NO DOUBT that’s me. I felt immediately that I needed to pull back.  Sorry to say this, and even more sorry for the best mate/partner one could ask for, I couldn't wait till we hit the climb and I could walk. I'm totally in WTF mode and despite a simple and positive mantra, there was nothing I could do. 

....gotta get to dinner, so more sob stories later, but despite my lack of performance, the organization and staff for TRR are unreal and the tracks the last two day have been fantastic!

Clearly, 

Useless, TJM

Here's the rest....

Today was a short day, 14 miles, so I went with the NU cycling jersey & JP took the camel. I stuffed my mandatory gear (hat, gloves, jacket & emergency blanket) and a waffle in my back pockets. I took a handie for my fluids (with ZYM) and put two gels in the pouch. I definitely preferred drinking from the handie rather than the camel. I switched from the Netwons today and went with the sols, thinking that the support would be better for the lose rocks and the technical decent. Great decision. I pulled them wicked tight and they worked well. 

Mantra de jour
The start was out a dirt road for a few miles before turning off onto a single track and the beginning of the climb. I was stoked for the climb. I can climb, ie, hike, without my cramps showing face. It was two+ miles up and we’d be hitting 12.5Kft. The single track had good footing most of the way, especially when we got above the tree line. I put down a stinger 45-50 min in, despite not really being hungry. We managed to pass a few peeps on the way up, but all the peeps we were in contention with were already ahead of us since I was slow from the gun on the first few miles before the single track.

Note on JP: he is pretty amazing at keeping his cool considering how frustrating it must be since we can’t push. He is constantly encouraging me and lying about me looking good! It’s great to be able to take the whole teammate element out of it; he could easily have lost his poop considering we weren’t 100ft today and I was struggling.

Considering the headaches on Friday and Saturday and this cramping drama, I was apprehensive about how hitting 12K was going to go down. Surprisingly, we were up and over without issue. The decent was fast, footing was key and that’s where the sols were handy. JP got stung by a bee on the way up to the summit and appropriately sung out like Julie Andrews.  Unfortunately that was slowing him a bit, but he powered on. We hit the 2nd and final CP shortly after the summit where JP was scavenging for some sort of NSAIDs with no avail. There was minimum there when we came through and I heard that later then ran out of water. I topped up my handie and took a salt tab. After the CP it was more decent through the woods and through some rocky shoots. The cramps were constant, but I though we making good time.

Once we got down from the decent there was about 5+ miles of rolling, dry terrain along the twin lakes. Otherwise a sweet track for running, I was really struggling on this. Heat magnifies my suffering. I had run out of water so JP had to let me drink from the camelbak. Another aid station would have been key along that stretch.  I was walking any chance there was a slight climb; I was hurting, but JP kept pulling me along. The frustration was weighing on my mind. This was only 14miles. There shouldn’t be issues, but it is amazing how debilitating cramps are.

We finally made the finish in 2hr37, and while I figured we would have lost places, we actually made up one and moved up to 10th. I didn’t really “overcome” anything, but taking anything positive out of disaster, at least the altitude didn’t cripple me and we did move up a spot. Baby steps, but right now the moral in camp TJM is very low.

A quick dip in the lake, a prescription from the medic to eat chips and then it was off in a shuttle to Leadville.  There are suspicions of either 1) salt deficiency or 2) diaphragm issues considering heavy breathing due to the altitude.

We were staying in a baseball field (right field line) in Leadville. I booked a message once I got back. It was 30min for $40 and the girl wasn’t too forceful, but it felt good. After the message and a shower it was up to town to  attempt WIFI.  

Camp - Night 2
Dinner was at the local high school gym. Again great food, craic and the pics/video were fantastic. I wish they would show it in the morning’s cauz I get so stoked watching it.  Enter sandman about 10 and hoping that tomorrow will be a different. It’s the longest day so there is potential for a lot of pain if the cramps persist. 

Swag: Gloves given night 1, buffs and Scarf given night 2
Note: order was resorted in the “bedroom”; I’m back on the right side.

Sincerely,

Hoping for better tomorrows, TJM

The Short:

Finish: 2:37:07
Place: 10th of 24
GC: 10 of 25 (1:42:10)
Garmin: Go Get It
Distance: 13.3 miles
Gain: 3,250 ft
Max Elevation: 12,536 ft
Terrain: 2 miles dirt road, 11 miles single track
Weather:
Sneakers: Sols
Gear: Cycling Jersey, Mandatory (Hat, Gloves, Jacket, Blanket), Visor, Handie
Food: 2 Stingers
Fluids: Water (with ZYM), Gu-brew

1 comment:

  1. Some people don’t have the guts for distance racing. The polite term for them is sprinters.

    -Author Unknown

    Tomorrow is another day, and there will be another battle!

    - Sebastian Coe

    Good things come slow – especially in distance running.

    - Bill Dellinger

    I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart.

    - Mike Fanelli

    Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was never tired. You’ve always got to make the mind take over and keep going.

    - George S. Patton

    I believe the true test of a man’s character is not showing what he has accomplished to his peers, but what he does when he is pushed to his limit and then watching what he does next.
    - Country

    and last, but not least…

    Life Should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways – drink in one hand, chocolate in the other – body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “Woo Hoo! What a Ride!”

    Go get them kid!

    ReplyDelete